I was done! So, on the seventh day I went to see a movie instead of sitting in front of a computer. There were a couple of pieces still missing, but all the functionality of Doodle Blast was there:
- Stacking guns
- Falling bonuses
- Static buildings, flickable soldiers, flying aircrafts
- Score counting
- Score tick marks
- Hit points, damage, and collisions
- Single and multi-touch support
- Local scores
- Global scores
- Twitter integration
- Loading screen
What was missing was the final images (it’s hard to code and draw at the same time), a few more guns using the existing gun infrastructure (gun images along with data specifying firing frequency, aim speed, cool period, etc.), a few more enemies using the existing enemy infrastructure (images along with data specifying spawn frequency, hit points, damage, etc.), a few more buildings, and some sound tweaks.
After I took day 7 off, I spent three more days working on the above items. Yes, I know, I was cheating again.
However, I did a couple of changes that might interest you:
- I added logic to adjust sound volume based on game progression and the amount of mayhem on the screen.
- In an attempt to make the game playable by rookies as well as advanced destructionists, I added logic to monitor the user and adjust the difficulty level accordingly.
If either of these interests you, let me know and I will dig into more details with further posts. If not, there you have it folks – The Making of Doodle Blast! in a nutshell.
The final game stats were as follows:
78 code files, 7693 lines of code, 9 textures, 42 sounds, and, as of today, 1773 submitted online scores.